Medium clipper ship built in 1852 by Jacob A. Westervelt, New York.
Dimensions 180'×238'×21' and tonnage 1098 tons.
- 1852 October 9
- Launched at the shipyard of Jacob A. Westervelt, New York, for A.A. Low & Brother, New York.
- 1852 November 16 - February 24
- Sailed from New York to San Francisco in 100 days.
- 1853 March 12 - May 30
- Sailed from San Francisco to New York in 80 days and 8 hours.
The Boston built clipper Northern Light left San Francisco the day after the Contest and arrived to Boston one day before the latter arrived to New York.
- Burnt by the Confederate raider CSS Alabama.
Updated 1997-01-20 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
American clipper ships | Search.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.