A medium clipper ship built in 1852 by Samuel Hall, East Boston, MA.
Dimensions: 183'9"×36'4"×22'6" and tonnage 1125 tons, old measurements.
She had a racehorse for a figurehead, but no head or trailboards.
Rigged with Forbes' double topsail rig.
Ended her days as a coal hull at Port Jackson where she burned after having been set on fire by a burning ship.
- 1852 November 11
- Launched at the shipyard of Samuel Hall, East Boston, MA, for J.M. Forbes and Cunningham Brothers, Boston.
Her first commander was Captain Jeremiah D. WHite late of the ship Epaminondas.
- 1852 December 18 - April 10
- Sailed from Boston to San Francisco in 113 days.
- 1853 November 10 - February 20
- Sailed from Whampoa to Deal in 102 days, or 82 days from Anjer.
- Captain John M. Cunningham.
- Sold in New York for $53.000.
- 1859 January 30 - May 28
- Sailed from New York to San Francisco in 117 days.
Captain Horton in command.
- 1860 September 12
- Sailed from New York to San Francisco in 111 days.
- 1861 October 27 - April 10
- Sailed from Boston to San Francisco in 131 days.
Captain William Lester.
- 1863 January
- Sold in London to Mackay, Baines & Co., Liverpool, for £5050 and was renamed Golden South. Owned by S.G. Reed, Boston, at the time of sale.
Updated 1999-02-03 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
American clipper ships | Search.
Copyright © 1999 Lars Bruzelius.