Clipper ship built in 1851 by Westervelt & Mackay, New York.
Dimensions: 207'×40'×22' and 1426 tons.
- 1851 June 20
- Launched at the shipyard of Westervelt & Mackay, New
York, for Chamberlain & Phelps, New York.
- 1853 April 26
- Left New York for San Francisco two days before
the Flying Cloud which ship was also bound for San Francisco.
- 1853 August 12
- Arrived in the San Francisco harbour 45 minutes
ahead of the Flying Cloud after a passage of 106 days.
- 1866 January 11
- Sailed from New York for San Francisco under
command of Captain Josiah A. Mitchell, with a cargo of candles and oil in
cases and barrels.
- 1866 May 3
- Caught fire and sank. The crew left the ship in
- 1866 June 15
- The captain's boat managed to reach the Island of
Hawaii, the two other boats were never heard of again.
- Clipper ships, general references.
- Dawson, Charls: Skeppsbåt till Hawaii.
Longitude No. 31, Stockholm, 1995.
- Howe, Octavius T. & Matthews, Frederick C.: American Clipper Ships
Argosy Antiquarian Ltd, New York, 1967/1927.
Updated 1996-01-02 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
American clipper ships | Search.
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.