A medium clipper ship built in 1851 by William H. Webb, New York, as Yard No. 63 at a cost of $ 120.000.
Dimensions 238'×42'10"×25'6" and tonnage 1768 tons Old Measurement.
The hull wa braced with iron.
- 1851 August 6
- Launched at the shipyard of William H. Webb, New York, for James W. Phillips, New York.
- 1851 December 20 - April 15
- Sailed from New York to San Francisco in 135 days under command of Captain Henry W. Johnson. Had to put into Rio de la Plata on January 26 due to a leaky water tank. Sailed again on January 28. The best day's run during the voyage was 400 miles. [Cutler has April 13 and 115 days net.]
- 1852 _____ - July 11
- Sailed from San Francisco to Hong Kong.
- 1852 September 15 - January 5
- Sailed from Whampoa to London in 105 days. The best day's run during the voyage was 336 miles.
- 1853 May 21 - September 9
- Sailed from New York to San Francisco in 110 days.
- Sailed from Liverpool to Melbourne in 76 days.
- Sailed from Bombay to Liverpool in 92 days.
- Sailed from Liverpool to Melbourne in 79 days.
- Sunk the ship A. Cheesebrough in a collision near Hong Kong and had to be beached with eleven feet of waster in the hold.
- 1856 January 21 - May 15
- Sailed from Hong Kong to London in __ days.
- 1857 May 14 - August 4
- Sailed from Bombay to Liverpool in 82 days.
- 1859 ____ - October
- Sailed from Whampoa to New York in 126 days, or 78 days from Anjer.
- Sold to Spofford, Tileston & Co., New York, for $ 60.000 and employed in the New York - Liverpool packet trade.
- 1860 November 3 - November 20
- Sailed from Liverpool to New York in 17 days.
- 1863 February
- Sold to Henry Hastings et al., Boston. Captain Kellum succeeded Captain Hepburn.
- 1863 May 2
- Sailed from New York to San Francisco in 134 days.
- Captain William Lester formerly of the Pampero and Flying Childers was given command of the ship.
- Sailed from New York to San Francisco in 119 days, the best passage of 1866.
- 1867 _____ - May 17
- Sailed from San Francisco to Philadelphia.
- 1867 May
- Laid up at Brooklyn, NY.
- 1867 September 11
- Destroyed by fire while loading for San Francisco. The burnt out wreck was found a total loss and was beached at Governor's Island. It was reported that the ship had been insured for $ 100.000.
Updated 1999-02-19 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
American clipper ships | Search.
Copyright © 1999 Lars Bruzelius.