Stilwell S. Bishop
A clipper ship built in 1851 by William Cramp, Philadelpia, PA.
Dimensions 140'1"×31'4"×15' and tonnage 595 tons.
- Launched at the shipyard of William Cramp, Philadelpia, PA, for Henry Simons, Jr., Philadelphia, PA. Captain Wm. E. Derrickson.
- 1852 May 27 - September 30
- Sailed from Philadelphia to San Francisco in 126 days [121 days claimed] under command of Captain Turley.
- 1853 March 2 - July 4
- Sailed from Philadelpia to San Francisco in 124 days [123 claimed] under command of Captain Sherman.
- 1854 February 20 - July 2
- Sailed from Baltimore to San Diego in 114 days under command of Captain Sherman.
- 1854 December 23 - April 29
- Sailed from Philadelpia to San Francisco in 127 days under command of Captain Shankland.
- 1855 December 14 - April 11
- Sailed from Philadelphia to San Francisco in 117 days [113 days claimed] under command of Captain Lindsay.
- Sold by Bishop & Simons, Philadelpia, to Rutter, Newell & Co., Baltimore, and was renamed Grey Eagle.
- Re-built at Noank, CT.
- Reduced to barque rig.
Updated 1998-04-22 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
American clipper ships
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.