A 22-gun corvette or sloop-of-war designed by John Lenthall and built at the
Norfolk Navy Yard, Norfolk, VA, in 1855 for the US Navy.
Her dimensions are 53,64x12,73x6,10 (d) m [176'0x41'9"x20'0" (d)] and with a
displacement of 1960 tons.
Presently preserved as a museum ship at the Constellation Dock, Baltimore, MD.
- 1853 June 25
- The keel was laid in Ship House B at the Norfolk
Navy Yard, Norfolk, VA.
- 1854 August 26
- 1855 July 28
- Commissioned as the last sailing warship built for
the US Navy.
- After repairs the Constellation was moved to the
Naval Station, Newport, RI, where she served as a stationary training and
receiving ship until 1914.
- 1940 August
- Re-commissioned as shore-based relief flagship
for the Commander-in-Chief of the Atlantic Fleet from 1941 until 1943.
- Handed over to the Baltimore Committee. Has been restored to
represent a frigate of the end of the 18th century.
- Closed to the public due to poor condition.
- The Yardarm, Vol. 6, No. 2.
The U.S.F. Constellation Foundation, (Baltimore), 1989.
4to, (6) pp, ill.
- Chapelle, Howard I. & Polland, Leon D.: The Constellation
Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, 1970. 8vo, viii,
152 pp, ill., 4 fold. plates.
- Chapelle, H.I.: The Story of the Constellation,
- Polland, L.D.: Comments on the "Story of the
Constellation", pp 59-102.
- Polland, L.D.: An Outline of the Present
Restoration, pp 105-148.
- Chapelle, Howard I.: United States Frigate Constellation.
The Mariner's Mirror Vol. 54, London, 1968. pp 407-408;
- Dunne, W.M.P.: The Constellation and the "Hermione".
The Mariner's Mirror Vol. 70, London, 1984. pp 82-85;
- Dunne, W.M.P.: An Inquiry into H.I. Chapelle's Research
in Naval History.
The American Neptune Vol. 49, Salem, 1989. pp 39-58;
- Edson, Merritt A.: The New Ship Constellation.
Nautical Research Journal vol. 24, Washington, 1978. pp 151-152.
- Magoun, F. Alexander: The Frigate Constitution and Other Historic
Bonanza Books, New York, 1978 (facs av ou 1927). 4to, xviii, 155 pp,
ill, 30 pl, 16 drawings.
- Polland, Leon D.: United States Frigate Constellation.
The Mariner's Mirror Vol. 54, London, 1968. pp 152;
- Randolph, Evan: U.S.S. Constellation, 1797 to 1979.
The American Neptune Vol. 39, Salem, 1979. pp 235-55, ill,
- Randolph, Evan: Roux Painting Mystery Solved!
The American Neptune Vol. 50, Salem, 1990. pp 60-62, ill.
- Todd, Thomas A.: USF Constellation as She May Have Appeared
in the Period 1797 to 1800.
Nautical Research Journal Vol. 31, Bethesda, 1986. pp 55-67, ill.
- Wegner, Dana: The Constellation Mystery Solved.
The Mariner's Mirror Vol. 78, London, 1992. pp 202-210, ill.
- Wegner, Dana M. & Ratliff, Colan & Lynaugh, Kevin: Fouled
Anchors: The Constellation Question Answered.
David Taylor Research Center, Bethesda, 1991. 4to, viii, 199 pp, ill.
Updated 1995-10-12 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1995 Lars Bruzelius.