A five-masted aux. steel barque built in 1911 by the Chantiers de la Gironde,
Dimensions: 127,60×16,96×7,53 meters [418'8×55'8×24'9]
and tonnage: 5633 GRT and 4544 NRT.
She had a midship island which was 116 ft long. Rigged with double top- and topgallant sails which gave a total sailarea of 6350 m2.
Originally equipped with two diesel engines rated at 934 hp and two propellers.
- 1911 November 9
- Launched at the shipyard of Chantiers et Ateliers
de la Gironde, Bordeaux, for Société Anonyme des Navires Mixtes
(Prentout-Leblond, Leroux & Co.), Rouen.
Assigned the French signal JHGT.
- Sold to Leroux & Henzey, Rouen.
- Sold to Compagnie Française de Marine et de Commerce,
- 1917 February 28
- Attacked by a submarine 150' WNW of Cape
Finisterre but escaped with the aid of the night.
- The two diesel engines were removed.
- Sailed from New Zealand to London in 90 days.
- 1922 July 12
- Drifted aground with a cargo of 8000 tons of nickel ore
on the Ouano Reef 60' from Noumea, New Caledonia, and had to be
- 1922 December 22
- The hull was sold for £ 2000.
- Destroyed by American bombers which were using the wreck for target practice.
Updated 1998-08-03 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Five-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.