A five-masted barque built of steel in 1921 by Ramage & Ferguson,
Leith, for the A/S Det Østasiatiske Kompagni, Copenhagen.
Her dimensions were 112,38×15,0×8,14 meters
[368'0"×49'3"×26'9"] and with a tonnage of 3901 GRT, 3329 NRT.
- 1921 March 24
- Launched at the shipyard of Ramage & Ferguson,
Leith, for the A/S Det Ostasiatiske Kompagnie, Copenhagen, to be used as a sail
Assigned the Danish signal NGHB.
- 1928 December 14
- Left Buenos Aires for Melbourne under command
of Captain H.F. Andersen with a crew of 15 seamen and 45 cadets.
- 1928 December 17
- Spoke to the SS Arizona some 400 miles
East of Montevideo.
- 1928 December 21
- In radio contact with SS City of Auckland
and William Blumer. After this she was never heard of again.
- Four- and five masted ships, general references.
- Chas. F. Melling: In Search of the Kobenhaven. The Full
Facts of the Investigation Carried Out by the Deucalion.
Sea Breezes Vol. 64 (1990), pp 693-697, ill.
- Schander, Carl-Otto: Mest om skepp försvunna med man och allt.
Longitude 3, Stockholm, 1968. pp 5-20, ill.
- Swann, F.R.H.: In Memoriam: Loss of the Kobenhavn.
Sea Breezes Vol. 53, Liverpool, 1979. pp 133-134, ill.
- Vogtmann, Rita: Kobenhavn.
Der Albatros 43. Jg, Bremen, 1998. pp 13-14, ill.
Updated 1998-04-27 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Five-masted ships & barques | Search.
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.