A four-masted iron ship built in 1884 by W.B. Thompson, Glasgow.
Dimensions 89,71×13,15×7,01 meters
[294'2"×43'2"×23'0"] and tonnage 2384 GRT and 2025 NRT.
Rigged with double top- and topgallant sails. Equipped with double bottom ballast tanks with a capacity of 450 tons of water.
- 1884 March
- Launched at the shipyard of W.B. Thompson, Glasgow, for
Ant. Dom. Bordes et fils, Dunkerque. Used in the nitrate trade between
Chile and Europe.
- 1899 February 18 — May 1
- Sailed from Shields to
Valparaiso in 70 days from Dover after having raced the three-masted ship
Madeleine and the four-masted barque Montmorency.
- 1917 October 2
- Under command of Captain Joseph Brian the ship
defended itself successfully against a German submarine with the help of two
- Broken up.
Updated 1996-12-29 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.