A four-masted steel barque built in 1901 by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow.
Dimensions 107,40×14,95×8,58 meters [352'5"×49'1"×28'2"]
and tonnage 3765 GRT and 3609 NRT.
Rigged with royals over double top and top-gallant sails.
Together with her sistership Daylight the largest four-masted barque ever built.
- 1901 May
- Launched at the shipyard of Russel & Co., Port
Anglo-American Oil Co., London.
- 1914 July 16
- Sold to
F. Laeisz, Hamburg, and renamed Perkeo.
Command of the ship was given to Captain
- 1914 August 6
- Captured by a British cruiser on voyage New York
to Hamburg and was confiscated as a prize of war.
Was renamed Bell
- 1915 April
- Sold to A/S Bell (Alf Monsen), Tönsberg, Norway, for £ 12.200. Assigned the Official Norwegain signal WKDT. Captain Thv. Ellingsen.
- 1916 March 30
- Sunk by the German submarine U-44 in postion 48°50' N, 7°40' W, some 70 nm SW
Scilly Islands on voyage from Portland, OR, to Britain with wheat. The entire crew were able to reach Liverpool after having been picked up by the steamer City of Stockholm.
Updated 1997-08-19 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.