An iron passenger screw steam ship built in 1861 by R. Napier & Sons, Glasgow, as yard no. 102.
Dimensions: 99,42×12,31×__,__ meters [326'4"×40'4"×27'6"] and tonnage: 2638 GRT, 1614 NRT and 2250 DWT. Equipped with a 480 NHK steam engine from Napier & Sons.
Later re-built as a four-masted barque rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
- 1861 October
- Launched at the shipyard of R. Napier & Sons, Glasgow, for Cunard SS Co., Liverpool.
- 1862 March 15
- Sailed from Liverpool on the maiden voyage to New York.
- Moved to the Liverpool - Halifax - Boston route.
- Moved back to the Liverpool - New York route.
- New 420 HP steam engine dampmaskin from Barclay & Curle.
- Sold to Marques de Campo, Cartagena, Spain, and was renamed Magallanes.
- Sold to J. D. Bischoff, Vegesack, Germany, and was renamed Theodor.
The engine was removed and rebuilt and rerigged as a four-masted barque. The new measurements were 2436 GRT and 2310 NRT.
- Sold to C. August Bunnemann, Bremen, Germany.
- 1901 April
- Sold to A/S Theodor (J. Johanson & Co.), Kristiania, Norway.
- 1906 March 4
- Sailed from Tampa, FL, for Yokohama and disappeared on the way.
Updated 1997-02-14 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.