County of Dumfries
A four-masted iron ship built in 1878 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow.
Dimensions 81,12×11,78×7,16 meters
[266'2"×38'8"×23'5"] and tonnage 1718 GRT, 1640 NRT and 1580 tons under deck.
The forecastle was 38 ft long and the poop 50 ft.
Rigged with royal sails above double top- and single topgallant sails.
Already rigged as a four-masted barque when purchased to Finland.
- Launched at the shipyard of Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow, for R. & J. Craig, Glasgow.
Assigned the Official British Registration Number 78585 and signal RHCQ.
The first master was Captain McLean.
- 1905 September
- Sold to partowners in Raumo, Finland, with Captain J. Tork as principal and managing owner and was renamed Sovinto. Captain E.K. Wiglund was given command of the ship.
- 1906 November 4
- Wrecked at East Point, Prince Edwards Island, on voyage from Campbelltown to Australia with a cargo of timber.
Updated 2000-12-12 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.