County of Roxburgh

A four-masted iron ship built in 1886 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow. Dimensions 87,01×13,22×7,31 meters [285'6"×43'5"×24'0"] and tonnage 2209 GRT and 2121 NRT. Rigged with royal sails above double top- and single topgallant sails.

1886 June
Launched at the shipyard of Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow, for R. & J. Craig, Glasgow. The first master was Captain J. Stroak. Used in the Indian jute trade.
Sailed from Cardiff to Colombo in 85 days.
Sailed from Mauritius to Calcutta in 23 days.
Sailed from Calcutta with a cargo of jute to Dundee in 99 days.
1894 December 16
Sailed from Calcutta with a cargo of 16.438 bales of jute to Boulogne in 96 days.
1899 September 16 — November 23
Sailed from Barry to Cape Town in 68 days.
Sailed from Cape Town to New York in 44 days.
Sailed from New York to Shanghai in 132 days.
Sailed from Astoria to Queenstown in 108 days.
1905 December 18
Left Caldera bound for Melbourne.
1906 February 8
Wrecked on the Takaroa Atoll, Tuamotu Archipelago, on voyage from Caldera to Melbourne. The ship had lost all the sails and was drifting in a severe storm and could not avoid the reefs.

Updated 1996-07-12 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Four-masted ships & barques.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.