A four-masted iron ship built in 1883 by W.H. Potter & Co., Liverpool.
Dimensions 91,91×11,90×7,16 meters
[301'7"×39'1"×23'6"] and tonnage 2127 GRT and 2074 NRT.
Rigged with skysails and royals above double top- and single topgallant sails.
- 1883 April
- Launched at the shipyard of W.H. Potter & Co.,
Liverpool, for Herron, Dunn & Co., Liverpool. The first master was Captain
- Sold to Globe Shipping Co. (Chas. G. Dunn & Co.), Liverpool.
- 1889 July 26
- Left Penarth for Rio de Janeiro, San Francisco and back to Le Havre under command of Captain T.H. Lyons.
- 1891 September - mid-January
- Sailed from New York to Calcutta with kerosene.
- 1892 June 3
- Left Calcutta for Hull with a cargo of linseed, but had to put back to Calcutta with six crew-members dead from food poisoning.
- 1892 July
- Resumed the voyage to Hull.
- 1898 April
- Wrecked at Sable Island on voyage from Dundee to New York.
- Charles E. Topp: Five Years in the Liverpool "Halls".
Sea Breezes Vol. 6 (1948), pp 194-197, ill. Includes a picture of a painting of Crofton Hall under sail.
Updated 1996-12-30 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.