A four-masted steel barque built in 1890 by W.H. Potter & Sons, Liverpool.
Dimensions 94,02×13,76×7,64 meters [308'6"×45'2"×25'1"] and tonnage 2902 GRT and 2773 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails above double top and topgallant sails.
- 1890 September
- Launched at the shipyard of W.H. Potter & Sons, Liverpool, for Macvicar, Marshall & Co's Palace Line, Liverpool. Captain
- 1891 Oct 24 - Feb 27
- Sailed with a cargo of coal from Birkenhead to San Francisco in 126 days.
Matched the American three-skysail-yard clipper ship R.D. Rice which left Birkenhead for San Francisco two days earlier.
- Captain John Woodward assumed command of the ship.
- Sailed from Liverpool to Calcutta in 95 days.
- Sailed from Barry to Port Pirie in 77 days.
- 1905 November 28
- Sailed from Tacoma for Belfast.
- 1905 December
- Captain Woodward was washed overboard and drowned. The first mate David Bailie assumed command.
- 1906 January 20
- The third mate fell overboard West of Cape Horn but was recovered alive.
- Sold to E.C. Schramm & Co., Bremen, for £6150 and was renamed Carl Rudgert Vinnen.
- Sold to F.A. Vinnen & Co., Bremen.
- 1914 August 4
- Confiscated by the British at Newcastle, NSW.
- Taken over by the British Admiralty, and was renamed Burrowa.
- 1915 April 27
- Sunk by a German submarine some 60 miles West of the Scilly Islands.
- D.S. Forbes: A "Clipper" Race. Dunfermline v. R.D. Rice.
Sea Breezes Vol. XXI (1936), pp 290-293.
Updated 1996-09-22 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.