A four-masted iron ship built in 1882 by R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow. Dimensions: 88,56×12,85×7,18 meters [290'7"×42'2"×23'7"] and tonnage: 2106 GRT and 2058 NRT. The figurehead was of Thomas Carlye of Ecclefechan. The ship was painted green in the Village Line's colours. Listed as a fourmasted barque in Lloyd's Register 1893-1894.

1882 August
Launched at the shipyard of R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow, for the Village Line of T.C. Guthrie, Glasgow. Used in the Indian jute trade. Captain J. Dow.
1898 August
Grounded at the entrance to Queenstown on voyage from San Francisco. The reason for the grounding was that sounding was not done.
1899 October 22
Sailed from Chittagong for Dundee with 3050 tons of jute.
1900 February 23
Was sailing under all sails when she stranded at Skateraw near Dunbar. Captain G.E. Hind had probably neglected to take into account the setting of the tide and had not established his position by sounding.
She is known to have made two voyages from Calcutta to San Francisco in 97 and 101 days respectively.


Updated 1997-01-06 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Four-masted ships & barques | Search.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.