Eleanor Margaret

A four-masted iron barque originally built in 1860 by Thames Shipbuilding Co. Ltd, London, as a (paddle?) steamer and rebuilt in 1878. Dimensions: 106,27×11,90×8,60 meters [348'8"×39'1"×28'3"] and tonnage: 2465 GRT and 2327 NRT.

Rigged with royal sails over double top and single topgallant sails.

Launched at the shipyard of Thames Shipbuilding Co. Ltd, London, as the SS Mooltan for the P.&O. Line.
Re-built in Liverpool as a four-masted barque for J. Pedley, Greenock. Capsized during the rigging of the ship due to insufficient stability.
Sold to J.D. Bischoff, Bremen. Captain J. Fischer.
1891 June 16
Foundered on voyage from Newcastle-on-Tyne to Valparaiso. Last spoken at 45°N, 25°W.

Updated 1996-11-02 by Lars Bruzelius

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Four-masted ships & barques

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.