A four-masted steel barque built in 1889 by Birrel, Stenhouse & Co., Dumbarton.
Dimensions 86,66×12,31×7,48 meters [285'0"×40'5"×24'7"] and tonnage 2160 GRT and 2093 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top sails and single topgallant sails.
Sailed from Santos to Cossack, West Australia, under Captain C.C. Dixon in 42
days and averaged 224 miles during 36 days. The longest 24-hour run was 318
- 1889 May
- Launched at the shipyard of Birrel, Stenhouse & Co., Dumbarton, for T. Law & Co., Glasgow. To be employed in the Australia, New Zealand, and New Caledonia trades. Her first master was Captain Robert Greig.
- 1898 November 29
- Dragged her anchor during a storm off Astoria,
OR, and drifted on to the four-masted barque Carradale and lost her jigger topmast.
- 1898 December 2
- Sailed from Astoria.
- In command of Captain David Scott.
- Sailed from Clyde to New Caledonia in 86 days.
- In command of Captain C.C. Dixon.
- Sailed into the Durban harbour without a local chart.
- In command of Captain David Roberts.
- Laid up at Milford Haven for three months before she was
sold to Germany and was broken up at Wilhelmshaven.
Updated 1996-09-12 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.