A four-masted steel barque built in 1898 by Forges et chantiers de la Méiterranée, Graville-Le Havre.
Dimensions: 89,88×13,78×8,36 meters [294'7"×45'2"×27'4"] and tonnage: 3215 GRT, 2380 NRT, and 2460 tons under deck.
[Henri Picard gives the 3104 GRT and 2754 NRT in his The Bounty Ships of France.]
Sistership to the same owner's four-masted barques Emile Renouf (1897) and Ernest Siegfried (1898).
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
- 1898 November 29
- Launched at the shipyard of Forges et chantiers de la Méiterranée, Graville-Le Havre, for Brown & E. Corbler, Le Havre. Used in the New Caledonia trade. Captain Jussèau.
- Sold to Compagnie Navale de l'Oceanie, Le Havre, and renamed Sainte Marguerite.
[Henri Picard gives the date April 1909 in his The Bounty Ships of France.]
- Sold to A.D. Bordes et fils, Le Havre, and renamed Blanche.
[Henri Picard gives the year 1912 in his The Bounty Ships of France.]
- 1917 September 19
- Sunk on voyage from La Pallice to Iquique in ballast by the German submarine U-151 at 47°10'N, 10°35'W. Of the crew Captain Bailleux and 17 others were killed after a 2½ hour long fight, when the submarine torpedoed and sank the ship. The 16 survivors were saved four days later by the French gunboat Audacieuse and brought to Rochefort.
Updated 1996-12-29 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.