A four-masted steel barque built in 1889 by Whitehaven Shipbuilding Co., Whitehaven.
Dimensions 91,46×13,00×7,31 meters [300'1"×42'8"×24'0"] and tonnage 2461 GRT and 2374 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and top-gallant sails.
- 1889 October
- Launched at the shipyard of Whitehaven Shipbuilding Co., Whitehaven, for J.R. de Wolf & Son, Liverpool. Assigned the Official British signal LMHG. Primarely used in the nitrate trade from Chile to Europe.
The first master of the ship was Captain W.J. Simms.
- Captain W.F. Andrews, late of the steel ship
Glenalvon, took over command of the ship.
- 1911 Januari 26
- Collided with the four-masted barque
Pommern off Helgoland and was towed into Hamburg for repairs.
- 1914 August 28
- Left Valparaiso with a cargo of nitrate in
sacks and was probably lost at Cape Horn.
Updated 1997-01-29 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.