Erskine M. Phelps
A steel four-masted barque built in 1898 by Arthur Sewall & Co., Bath, ME, at a cost of $140.000.
Dimensions: 95,11×13,76×7,77 meters [312'1"×45'2"×25'6"]
and tonnage: 2999 GRT and 2715 NRT.
Rigged with sky and royal sails over double top and single topgallant sails.
- 1898 July 26
- Launched at the shipyard of Arthur Sewall & Co.,
Bath, ME, for their own account. Captain Robert J. Graham.
- Is said to have made a day's run of 359 miles.
- 1913 February 4
- Sold to Union Oil Co. of California, Los Angeles, CA, and converted to a schooner rigged tank barge.
- Sold to T.A. Hays, San Francisco, CA.
- Re-rigged as a four-masted schooner.
- 1942 November 3
- Taken over by the US Navy and designatyed YO-147 and used as a bunker oil depot ship at Manus Island.
- 1945 December 8
- Sunk by the Navy off Manus Island.
Updated 1997-03-02 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.