A four-masted steel barque built in 1891 by W.H. Potter & Sons, Liverpool. Dimensions: 96,69×14,02×7,67 meters [317'3×46'0×25'2] and tonnage: 3145 GRT, 2962 NRT, and 5030 DWT. Rigged with royal sails above double top and topgallant sails.

1891 August
Launched at the shipyard of W.H. Potter & Sons, Liverpool, for Macvicar, Marshall & Co., Liverpool. Command of the ship was given to Captain J.N. Jackson.
1896 June 19 - September 28
Sailed from New York to Melbourne in 102 days.
Captain A.F. Gilmore.
Captain W.R. Kidd.
Captain J. Finlay.
Did not answer her helm while under tow down the Elbe en route to Santa Rosalia and capsized the two attending tugs Fair Play 3 and Fair Play 8 drowning five of the tugs' crew. Forteviot grounded but was refloated at the next high tide.
Sold to E.C. Schramm & Co., Bremen, and was renamed Werner Vinnen. Captain D. Dinkela.
Sold to F.A. Vinnen & Co., Bremen.
1914 August 22
Captured by British naval ships at the Cape Verde Islands and brought in to Freetown, Sierra Leone,
Sold to Houlder, Middleton & Co., London, and was renamed Yawry. Captain T. Dunning.
Sold to the Bell Lines Ltd. (James Bell & Co.), Hull, and was renamed Bellands. Captain W.D. Reid.
1921 August
Captain D. Williams late of the Medway assumed command of the ship.
1921 August 31 - November 23
Sailed from St Nazaire to Port Lincoln in 84½ days.
1922 April 14 - July 30
Sailed from Sydney to Belfast in 104 days with a cargo of 4838 tons of wheat [?].
1922 August 22
Sold to A. Monsen, Tønsberg, Norway. Captain E.G. Mann. Lubbock gives P.G. Araldsen as the name of the master and also that she was renamed Yawry.
1926 January
Broken up at Blyth, England.
The figurehead of the Forteviot was to be seen in the garden of the Rock Ferry Hotel, Cheshire, in the 1930s.


Updated 1997-08-19 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Four-masted ships & barques | Search.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.