A four-masted steel barque built in 1890 by R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow.
Dimensions: 82,62×12,19×7,16 meters [271'1"×40'0"×23'6"] and tonnage: 1900 GRT and 1786 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
- 1890 July
- Launched at the shipyard of R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow, for W. Thorburn, R.R. Patterson & Co., Greenock. Captain A. Burd.
- Sold to J.W. Söderlund, Raumo, Finland. Captain G.A. Cavenius.
- 1901 May 18
- Left Tyne with a cargo of coal for Valparaiso and disappeared at sea.
Captain Robert Hilgendorf in the five-masted barque
Potosi later reported having seen the burnt out wreck of a fourmasted ship floating on the starboard side still smouldering at 27°3'S, 24°6'W.
Updated 1997-05-08 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.