A four-masted iron barque built in 1878 by Dobie & Co., Glasgow.
Dimensions: 76,90×12,19×6,80 meters [252'4"×40'0"×22'4"] and tonnage: 1619 GRT, 1564 NRT and 1506 tons under deck.
The second smallest four-masted barque ever built, only the Tweedsdale of 1460 GRT was smaller.
- 1878 June
- Launched at the shipyard of Dobie & Co., Glasgow, for J.A. Allan, Glasgow. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 78625 and signal RPVH.
Mostly employed in the India trade.
Captain Tannock was the first master of the ship.
- Sold to Law, Thomas & Co., Glasgow.
- Sailed from Barry with a cargo coal to Cape Town in 78 days under command of Captain Le Page, Jersey.
- Continued to Burma in ballast to load paddy rice.
Captain Kerr succeded Captain Le Page who died in Burma.
- Sailed from Burma to Bremerhaven in 185 days.
- 1905 July
- Captain John Nichol late of the Duns Law assumed command of the ship.
- 1907 July 25
- Wrecked at Polycarp Cove, Cape San Paulo, Staten Island, on voyage from Rochester, England, to Seattle, WA, with a cargo of cement.
Updated 1997-04-28 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.