H. Bischoff

A four-masted iron ship orginally built as a steamship in 1865 by R. Napier & Sons, Glasgow, but re-built in 1889 by Blyth Dry Dock Co., Blyth, as a sailing ship. Dimensions: 108,5×13,3×8,29 meters [356'0"×43'8"×27'3"] and tonnage: 2776 GRT and 2708 NRT.

Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.

Launched at the shipyard of R. Napier & Sons, Glasgow, for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique as the Ville de Paris.
Re-built as a fourmasted ship by the Blyth Dry Dock Co., Blyth, for H. Bischoff & Co., Bremen. Captain B.J. Swarting.
1900 October 28
Stranded during a storm on the Vogelsand in the Elbmündung on voyage from Caleta Buena with a cargo of nitrate and was eventually broken down by the sea. [Hurst gives Caleta Coloso]

Updated 1996-11-10 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Four-masted ships & barques | Search.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.