A four-masted steel barque built by W. Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow. Dimensions: 102,22×14,24×8,04 meters [335'5×46'9×26'5] and tonnage 3102 GRT and 2869 NRT.

Launched at the shipyard of W. Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow.
1904 March 22
Bought by G.J.H. Siemers & Co., Hamburg. Command was given to by Captain Jürgen Friedrich Külsen (1867-1927), previously master of Reederei B. Wencke Söhne's four-masted barque Hera ex Richard Wagner (1886).
1904 April 24
Left Port Talbot with a cargo of 4920 tons of coal for Iquique.
1904 May 15
The cargo of coal exploded and caught fire at 28°48' N and 18°31' W in sight of the Palma Island. Returned to Falmouth after the fire had been put out and continued to Greenock for repairs.
1904 September 2
The trip to Iquique was resumed now with only 2030 tons of coal.
Sailed from Port Talbot to Pisagua in 73 days.
Sailed from Caleta Buena to Lizard in 79 days.
Sailed from Junin to Lizard in 98 days.
Sailed from Port Talbot to Iquique in 89 days.
Sailed from Iquique to Newcastle, NSW, in 58 days.
Sailed from Taltal to Antwerpen in 86 days.
Sailed from Hamburg to Santa Rosalia, Mexico, in 143 days.
Interned for the duration of the war at Santa Rosalia.
Confiscated by the United States.
Sold to Robert Dollar & Co., San Francisco, CA, and renamed Mary Dollar.
Sold to A. Charles Watt, Long Beach, CA, after having been laid up at Alameda for some time. To be used as a restaurant ship. Was rigged off and renamed Tango. Used as a gambling ship off Long Beach, CA.
Sold to Transatlantik Navigation Co., New York, and re-rigged as a six-masted barquentine.
1943 February
Sold to Portuguese owners in Lourenço Marques and was re-named Cidade do Porto and re-rigged to a six-masted schooner.
1945 August
Lost most of her sails in a storm off East London and she had to be towed to Durban by the tug Sir William Hoy for repairs.
Broken up at Lisbon.


Updated 1997-04-13 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Four-masted ships & barques | Search.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.