A four-masted steel barque built in 1892 by C. Connell & Co., Glasgow.
Her dimensions were 270'0×43'1×23'6 and with a tonnage of 2097 NRT.
The Swedish measurements were 260'9"×43'2"×23'6", 2345 GRT and 1966 NRT.
Pictures: At sea
- 1892 February
- Launched at the shipyard of C. Connell & Co.,
Glasgow, Scotland, for Hawaiian Construction Co., Honolulu. To be used in the
sugar trade between Honolulu and the West Coast of South America.
- Sold to A. Nelson, Honolulu.
- Sold to
Welch & Co., Honolulu.
- Captain Walter M. Mallet.
- Sold to Matson Navgation Co., San Francisco.
- Sold to the
Alaska Packers' Association, San Francisco, CA, for $ 60.000 and renamed Star of Greenland.
- 1910 January - 1926 September
- Captain P.H. Peterson.
- 1926 September
- Laid up at Alameda, San Francisco.
- Sold to the Stiftelsen Abraham Rydberg, Stockholm, for $
19.000 and was renamed Abraham Rydberg (III) to be used as a sail
training ship. During this time she used to carry triangular main and mizzen
- 1930 January
- Left San Francisco with cargo of grain for England where she arrived after 124 days.
- 1936 May 10
- In collision with the British steamer Koranton
45 nm South of Eddystone.
Several plates on the port side were buckled and she also lost her main
top-gallant mast. She was subsequently taken to Blyth for repairs.
- 1942 March 15
- Laid up in Baltimore.
- 1943 May
- Sold to Julio Riero Campys, Oporto, and was renamed
Foz do Douro.
- Two auxiliary 650 hp diesel engines were installed.
- Reduced to a four-masted barquentine.
- Sold to Sociedade Industrial, Ultramarina.
- 1957 February
- Broken up at La Spezia.
- Four- and five masted ships, general references.
- "Krysspricken": Skolskeppet Abraham Rydberg.
Svenska Segelfartyg årg. 1, Malmö, 1937. pp 137-144, ill.
- Brohäll, Per: Brev hem om Abraham Rydbergs kollision med
Longitude 22, Stockholm, 1986. pp 87-92, ill.
- Colcord, Joanna C.: Career of the Hawaiian Isles.
Sea Breezes Vol. 3 (1947), pp 408-409.
- Colcord, Lincoln: A Jury Rudder for the Bark Guy C. Goss.
American Neptune Vol. 2 (1942), pp 65-??.
- Jacobsen, Bertil: Fyrmastbarken Abraham Rydberg.
Albert Bonnier, Stockholm, 1936. 8vo, 208 s, ill.
Updated 1997-01-01 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.