Jeanette Françoise

A four-masted steel barque built in 1892 by J. & K. Smit, Krimpen aan de Lek. Dimensions: 80,16×13,41×8,22 meters [263'0"×44'0"×27'0"] and tonnage: 2292 GRT and 2231 NRT. Rigged with royal sails over double top and single topgallant sails.

1892 November 30
Launched at the shipyard of J. & K. Smit, Krimpen aan de Lek, for P. van de Hoog, Krimpen aan de Lek. Captain R. Bleeker was given command of the ship.
Sold to C.J. Lels, Rotterdam.
Sold to J.A. Vroege, Rotterdam. Captain Gool Visser was appointed master of the ship.
1912 November 25
Sold to C. Krabbenhöft & Bock, Hamburg, and was renamed Carl. Assigned the German signal RPNJ. The new German measurements were: 83,66×13,46×7,56 meters which gave 2266 GRT. Captain August Schröer (1868-1916) was given command of the ship.
Interned at Antofagasta.
Assigned to France as war damage compensation.
Sailed from Antofagasta to Cette in 196 days with a cargo of nitrate under command of Capt. Kähler..
Sold to A/S Souvenir (O. Kverndal & Co. mgrs), Tvedestrand, Norway, for £ 950 and was renamed Souvenir. Captain Berntsen, late of the same owner's ship ???, replaced Captain Schröer who had drowned in 1916.
Sold to ship breakers at Terneutzen for £ 3150.
Broken up.


Updated 1997-05-10 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sj÷historiska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Four-masted ships & barques | Search.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.