A four-masted steel barque built in 1891 by Russell & Co., Greenock.
Dimensions: 44,54×12,80×7,36 meters
[277'5"×42'0"×24'2"] and tonnage 2280 GRT and 2169 NRT.
Rigged with double topsails and single topgallant sails and royal sails.
- 1891 December
- Launched at the ship yard of Russell & Co.,
Greenock, for Shaw, Savill & Co., Glasgow. Mostly used in the South American
nitrate trade. Captain F.H. Hurburgh.
- 1911 December
- Sold to A/S Skib Lindfield (H. Jeremiassen), Porsgrund, Norge. Assigned the Official Norwegian signal KFGW. Captain Carl Gustav Norberg.
- 1916 March 17
- Sunk by the German submarine U 70 some 70 miles SW off Fastnet on voyage Portland, OR, to Queenstown with a cargo of wheat.
The crew was brought into the submarine where they remained until Match 21, when they were put on the Norwegian barque Silas, Grimstad.
Updated 1997-04-26 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.