A four-masted steel barque built in 1900 by Chantiers de la Normandie, Gran Quevilly/Rouen.
Dimensions: 94,84×13,71×7,38 meters [311'2"×45'0"×24'3"] and tonnage: 3255 GRT and 2432 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
p>Sistership to the same owner's fourmasted barque Valentine (1900).
- 1900 August 25
- Launched at the shipyard of Chantiers de la Normandie, Gran Quevilly/Rouen, for
Ant. Dom. Bordes et fils, Dunkerque.
- 1900 December
- Delivered to the owners. Captain L. Morin.
- Sailed from France to Chile in 70 days.
- Sailed from Newcastle, NSW, to Valparaiso in 32 days.
- 1917 July 6
- Left Le Verdon for Valparaiso in ballast.
- 1917 August 2
- Sunk by the German submarine U 155 at 33°38'N, 23°30'W, some 340 miles west of Madeira. Captain Leff and crew tried to defend themself against the submarine with the guns mounted aboard but had to abandon the ship after a short fight.
The crew was saved by a British submarine three days later and landed at Horta, Azores.
Updated 1997-01-05 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.