A four-masted iron ship built in 1884 by William Doxford & Sons, Sunderland.
Dimensions: 78,63×11,58×7,03 meters [258'0"×38'0"×23'1"] and tonnage: 1691 GRT and 1639 NRT.
- 1884 August
- Launched at the shipyard of William Doxford & Sons, Sunderland, for the Gwynedd Shipping Co. (W.E. Jones, Carnarvon), Liverpool. Captain John Williams (1846).
- Sailed from Sunderland to Singapore with general cargo.
- Sailed from Bassein with a cargo of rice for Bremen where she arrived in September.
- Captain Richard Edwards (1843), Caernarfon, late of John Richards' iron barque Lady Penrhyn of Bangor.
- 1885 November 11 - March 8
- Sailed from Cardiff to Singapore.
- Sailed from Singapore to Liverpool where she arrived on September 11.
- Captain Robert Willians, Caernarfon.
- Captain Richard Owen, Pwllheli.
- Captain Evan Jones.
- 1895 August 10 - January
- Sailed from Dunkirk to San Francisco.
- Sailed from San Francisco to Liverpool where she arrived in August.
- Sold to Roberts, Owen & Co., Liverpool. Later transferred to a single ship company.
- Sailed from Iquique to Antwerp.
- 1901 January 17
- Left Antwerp for Cardiff under tow by the L. Smith & Co.'s tug Noord Zee with 582 tons of silversand as ballast.
- 1901 January 19
- The hawser broke in the increasing wind and the Moel Tryvan capsized and foundered when the ballast shifted some 25 miles NW of the Casquets, Alderney. Eight men of the crew were saved by a French fishing boat and brought to Cherbourg while the other ten died.
Updated 1997-03-02 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.