A four-masted steel barque built in 1891 by Richard Williamson & Son,
Workington, as Yard No. 94.
Dimensions: 92,57×12,85×x7,46 meters [303'9×x42'2×24'9], tonnage: 2510 GRT and 2399 NRT.
A flush decked and bald-headed barque, which belonged to the group of six
four-masted barques called the Workington Sisters.
The builder's halfmodel is preserved in the Friesen-Museum, Wyk, Föhr, and the figurehead could be seen in the gardens of the Rockferry Hotels, Cheshire, in the 1930s.
- 1891 February
- Launched at the shipyard of Richard Williamson & Son, Workington, for James Chambers & Co., Liverpool.
- Captain Wood.
- Sailed from Liverpool to Calcutta with a cargo of salt in
- 1891 December 28
- In collision with the American four-masted
schooner Maria O. Teel south of the Thames entrance and had to undergo lengthy repairs.
- Captain Richardson.
- 1895 December 27 -
- Sailed from Elbe to Adelaide with a cargo
of cokes in 82 days. 77 days from the Isle of Wight.
- 1896 August 18 -
- Sailed from Newcastle, NSW, to San Francisco
with a cargo of 3611 tons of coal in 58 days.
- 1898 May 27
- Sold to
Hans Hinrich Schmidt, Hamburg, for £ 14.000 and renamed Lisbeth. Assigned the German signal RKWJ. Captain Bock was given command of the ship.
- Sailed from Dundee to New York in ballast in 39 days.
- Captain Scharsich.
- 1898 September 13 - December 8
- Sailed from New York to Melbourne with a cargo of mostly case oil in 86 days. The Melbourne Argus reported of the arrival the following day.
- Captain Kaak.
- Sailed from Tocopilla to Falmouth with a cargo of nitrate
in 71 days.
- Captain Lorenzen.
- Captain Hansen.
- Captain Jessen.
- 1914 June 26 - September 21
- Sailed from Port Talbot to Iqique
with a cargo in coal in 87 days. Part of the coal cargo was transferred to the
German steamer Karnak. Later the Karnak rendevouzed with a German squadron and the coal was transferred to the German cruiser SMS Dresden.
- Interned at Iquique during the war.
- Captain Look.
- 1920 October 5 - January 7
- Sailed from Iquique to Delfzijl with
a caro in nitrate in 94 days.
- Assigned to France as war damage compensation.
- Laid up at Delfzijl.
- 1922 April 14
- Sold to Bernhard Wilhelm Riedemann, Bremen, for
- 1922 April 26
- Sold to Claus Hinrichsen GmbH, Hamburg, for DEM
- Captain Windhorst.
- 1924 March 26 - May 16
- Sailed from Brügge to Pensacola in
ballast in 50 days.
- 1924 July 1 - August 7
- Sailed from Pensacola to Liverpool with
a cargo of timber in 38 days.
- 1927 August 28
- Sold to Reederei Frithjof GmbH (H. Andersen), Hamburg, for DEM 80.000.
- Broken up at Port Glasgow.
- Four- and five masted ships, general references.
- Burmester, Heinz: Die Viermastbark Lisbeth, ex Pendragon
Castle Kauffartei unter Segel bis ins 20. Jahrhundert.
Stalling Verlag, Oldenburg, 1982. 4to, 200 pps, ill.
Schriften des Deutschen Schiffahrtsmuseums 15.
- Burmester, Heinz: Drei schnelle Frachtsegler und ihre Zeit.
Echardt & Messdorff, Hamburg, 1981. 8vo, 103 pp, ill.
Sonderdruck aus "Seewart", 41. Jahrgang (1980), Nrn. 1 bis
6, Nautische Zeitschrift für die deutsche Seeschiffahrt.
Updated 1997-03-18 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.