A steel steam ship built in 1880 by A. McMillan & Son, Dumbarton.
Dimensions: 106,88×13,0×8,44 meters [350'8"×42'8"×27'9"] and tonnage: 3428 GRT and 3288 NRT.
Re-built as a four-masted barque in 1894 and rigged with royal sails over double top and simple topgallant sails.
- 1880 September
- Launched at the shipyard of A. McMillan & Son, Dumbarton, for Royal Exchange Shipping Co., London.
- 1894 May 2
- Stranded in the neighborhood of New York. Re-floated and re-built as a four-masted barque at the Newport New Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Newport News, VA, for Flint & Co., New York, and was renamed May Flint. Captain E.P.D. Nickles.
- Was rammed by the battleship USS Olympia in the San Francisco bay on voyage from Nanaimo to Pudget Sound and sank within minutes.
Updated 1997-02-21 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.