Président Felix Fauré
A four-masted steel barque built in 1896 by Forges et chantiers de la
Méditerranée, Le Havre-Granville.
Dimensions: 94,94×13,81×7,53 meters [311'6"×45'4"×24'9"] and tonnage: 2860 GRT and 2393 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
- 1896 February 3
- Launched at the shipyard of Forges et chantiers de la
Méditerranée, Le Havre-Granville, for Cie. Havraise de Navigation à Voiles (C. Brown & E. Corblet mgrs), Le Havre. Captain St. Frossard.
- Havre to New Caledonia in 79 days.
- 1898 February 2
- Lost 15 men of the crew overboard in a violent
storm off the Kerguelen Islands when the ship was swept from stern to stem by
- 1908 March 13
- Stranded on the Antipodes Islands on voyage from
New Caledonia to Le Havre with a cargo of nickel ore. Captain Noël and the
crew was rescued on May 12, 1908, after two months on the island by the HMS
Pegasus and brought to Lyttleton, New Zealand.
Updated 1996-12-28 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.