A four-masted iron ship built in 1886 by J.C. Tecklenborg, Geestemünde, as yard no. 58.
Dimensions: 84,12×12,49×7,23 meters [276'0"×41'0"×23'9"] and tonnage 2094 GRT and 2006 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails above double top and single topgallant sails.
The wreck and cargo was later blown up as it was a pontential danger to shipping.
- 1886 April
- Launched at the shipyard of J.C. Teckelnborg, Geestemünde, for their own account. Assigned the Official German signal RHPL
- 1889 July 26
- Sold to
B. Wencke Söhne, Hamburg, and renamed
- In command of Captain O. Romberg.
- In command of Captain J. Külsen.
- In command of Captain W. Wiese.
- 1906 January 1
- Sold to
Rhederei AG von 1896, Hamburg.
- In command of Captain W. Fleth.
- In command of Captain R. Hoffmann.
- In command of Captain J. Lorenz.
- 1914 January 31
- Stranded at Gull Rock, Portloe, two miles from
Falmouth 91 days out on voyage from Pisagua to Falmouth f.o. with a cargo of nitrate worth £ 30.000. Twelve of the crew of 24 died at the stranding.
- anon.: The Wreck of the Hera.
Der Albatros 43. Jg, Bremen, 1998. pp 1-4, ill.
- Rauth, R.: En saltpeterresa med Hera.
Longitude Nr 34, Stockholm, 1998. pp 58-67, ill.
Updated 1999-01-01 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.