A four-masted steel barque built in 1889 by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow.
Dimensions 84,75×12,71×7,41 meters
[278'1"×41'9"×24'4"] and tonnage 2210 GRT and 2106 NRT.
Rigged with double top- and topgallant sails.
- 1889 November
- Launched at the shipyard of Russell & Co., for
G.M. Steeves, Liverpool.
- 1896 March 27
- Stranded on Vliehors, at the Vlieland lighthouse. Three men who tried to reach shore in the ship's gig drowned, while the rest of the crew was saved by the Vlieland and Nieuwediep lifeboats.
The Stanley was on voyage from Calcutta to Hamburg with a cargo of 764 bales of cotton and 16.749 bales of jute.
The wreck had to be broken up on the spot.
Updated 1997-04-13 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.