A four-masted iron barque built in 1882 by Birrell, Stenhouse & Co., Dunbarton.
Dimensions: 81,12×12,19×7,16 meters [266'2"×40'0"×23'6"] and tonnage: 1796 GRT and 1730 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and single topgallant sails.
- 1882 June 16
- Launched at the shipyard of Birrell, Stenhouse & Co., Dunbarton, as Yard No. 35 for
John Hardie, Glasgow. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 86668.
- Under command of Captain J. Robson late of the same owner's fullrigged ship Salamanca (1877).
- Sailed from Glasgow to Melbourne in 91 days.
- Sailed from London to Calcutta in 85 days.
- 1886 February 16
- Sailed from London to Melbourne in 89 days.
The former tea-clipper
Cutty Sark sailed from London for Anjer the following day and the two ships passed the Cape of Good Hope on the same day.
- Sailed from London to Melbourne in 73 days.
- Transferred to John Hardie & Co.
- Sailed from Algoa to Lyttleton in 30 days.
- Sailed from London to Sydney in 85 days.
- Sailed from Newcastle, NSW, to Valparaiso in 37 days.
- Sailed from Iquique to Falmouth in 92 days.
- Captain McCleave replaced Captain Robson who was taking command of the new fourmasted barque Corunna.
- 1896 February 12
- Sailed from Newcastle, NSW, to Valparaiso with a part coal cargo.
- 1896 May 1
- Stranded on Santa Maria Island on voyage from
Valparaiso to Conception Bay in ballast.
Updated 1997-01-24 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.