A four-masted iron ship built in 1877 by C. Connell & Co., Glasgow.
Dimensions: 82,72×11,95×7,11 meters [271'5"×39'3"×23'4"] and tonnage: 1765 GRT and 1696 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and single topgallant sails.
Reduced to barque rig round the turn of the century.
- 1877 September
- Launched at the shipyard of C. Connell & Co., Glasgow, for W. & A. & Brown & Co., Glasgow. Captain Brown.
- 1888 March
- Collided with and sank the barque City of Corinth.
- Sold to A. Weir & Co., Glasgow.
- Sailed from Cardiff to Rio de Janeiro in 31 days under command of Captain Francis Edgar.
- Sailed from Rio de Janeiro to New York in ballast.
- Sailed form New York to Batavia with a cargo of kerosene in cases. Captain Edgar contracted the Java fever in and died. The mate Mr Richard Roberts was promoted to captain.
- 1895 October 29 - December 29
- Sailed from Batavia to Melbourne. At sea all of the ship's officers got the fever and the 18 year old apprentice William Schotton assumed command. Although many of the crew had died or were weak from fever the ship was safely brought to Melbourne.
- 1904 November 11
- Wrecked 20 miles South of Tamandare, Brazil, on voyage from Sydney to Falmouth for orders.
Updated 1997-02-15 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.