A four-masted iron barque built in 1877 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow.
Dimensions: 74,47×11,37×6,85 meters [244'4"×37'4"×22'6"] and
tonnage: 1460 GRT and 1403 NRT.
Flush decked and rigged with royals over single topgallant sails and double top
The Tweedsdale was the first four-masted barque built of iron and also
the smallest ever built.
- 1877 April
- Launched at the shipyard of Barclay, Curle & Co.,
Glasgow, for J. & A. Roxburgh, Glasgow. The first master was Captain Duncan.
- Sold to Hatfield, Cameron & Co., Glasgow.
- Sold to F. Seedorf, Nordenham, Germany.
- Sold to "Midgard" Deutsche Seeverkehrs AG and used as a
accomodation ship at Nordenham.
- Sold to Zentralvereins deutscher Reeder, Hamburg, and was
re-named the Gernot. Was moved to Hamburg and where it was used in the same capacity as in Nordenham.
- 1922 December
- Towed to Lisbon to be used as a barge. The final fate of the ship is not known.
Updated 1996-03-01 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.