A four-masted steel barque built in 1900 by Chantiers de Normandie, Grand Quevilly.
Dimensions: 94,79×13,71×8,14 meters [311'2"×45'0"×26'9"] and tonnage: 3258 GRT and 2433 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
Sistership to the same owner's fourmasted barque Marthe (1900).
- 1900 November 8
- Launched at the shipyard of Chantiers de Normandie, Grand Quevilly, and delivered in April 1901 to Ant. Dom. Bordes et fils, Dunkerque. Used in the nitrate trade between
Chile and Europe. Captain J.M. Ohler.
- Sailed from Iquique to Falmouth in 73 days. This was the best return passage for the season of the Bordes' fleet.
- 1903 November 24 - January 29
- Sailed from Shields to Iquique in 66 days under Captain L. Gardanne. 61 days from the Isle of Wight.
- Returned from Iquique to Dunkerque in 70 days.
- 1914 August
- Left Port Talbot for Iquique under command of Captain F. Guillou.
- 1914 November 2
- Ran in to the German cruiser Leipzig on the west coast of South America 90 days out. Was towed to the Mas-a-Fuera island by the raider Prinz Eitel Friedrich where they arrived on November 4. The Valentine was sunk after the cargo of coal had been transferred to the German war-ships.
The crew was brought to Valparaiso on the steamer Sacramento.
Updated 1997-02-17 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.