City of Benares

An iron fullrigged ship built in 1882 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow. Dimensions 259'0"×38'2"×23'0" and 1652 GRT, 1574 NRT, 1525 tons under deck and 2400 DWT.
1882 September
Launched at the shipyard of Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow, for G. Smith & Sons, Glasgow. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 86696 and signal WPJK. Captain R. Adair was given command of the ship.
1900 January
Sold to Gabriel Rivell and partners, Nystad, Finland. The Finnish measurements were 1652 GRT and 1499 NRT.
1911 October 1
Wrecked at Westkapelle, Walcheren, on voyage from Queenstown to Sundsvall. Of the crew, 10 were rescued while the other 11 were lost.


Updated 1997-04-27 by Lars Bruzelius

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives.

Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.