City of Benares
An iron fullrigged ship built in 1882 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow.
Dimensions 259'0"×38'2"×23'0" and 1652 GRT, 1574 NRT, 1525 tons under deck and 2400
- 1882 September
- Launched at the shipyard of Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow, for G. Smith & Sons, Glasgow.
Assigned the official British Reg. No. 86696 and signal WPJK.
Captain R. Adair was given command of the ship.
- 1900 January
- Sold to Gabriel Rivell and partners, Nystad, Finland.
The Finnish measurements were 1652 GRT and 1499 NRT.
- 1911 October 1
- Wrecked at Westkapelle, Walcheren, on voyage from Queenstown to
Sundsvall. Of the crew, 10 were rescued while the other 11 were lost.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Lille, Sten & Grönstrand, Lars: Finlands djupvattenseglare.
Etelä-soumen kustannus oy, Lieto, 1979. 4to, 224 pp, ill.
Updated 1997-04-27 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.