Duke of Athole
An iron fullrigged ship built in 1865 by Denny & Rankine, Dumbarton.
Dimensions 199'2"×33'2"×20'9" and 963 GRT and 963 NRT and 897 tons
- 1865 February
- Launched at the shipyard of Denny & Rankine, Dumbarton, for Montgomerie, Workman & Co., London.
Assigned the official British Reg. No. 52662 and signal HBPV.
- 1878 May
- Reported to have been the first sailing ship towed through the Suez Canal.
- Sold to Devitt & Moore, London.
- In command of Captain J.R. Brown late of the same owner's ship Dunbar Castle.
- In command of Captain Malcolm Nicholson late of the same owner's ship St Vincent.
- Sold to German owners and was renamed Carla Bauer.
- 1897 January 18
- Abandoned in sinking condition in the North Atlantic in position 47°N, 10°W.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Course, A.G.: Painted Ports. The story of the ships of Messrs
Devitt and Moore.
Hollis & Carter, London, 1961. 8vo, x, 230 pp, 6 plates.
- Lubbock, Basil: The Colonial Clippers.
Brown, Ferguson & Son, Glasgow, 1948 (2nd).
Updated 1997-05-06 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.