An iron barque built in 1878 by A. Stephen & Sons, Dundee, as yard no. 70.
Dimensions: 202'3"×32'1"×18'8" and tonnage: 915 GRT, 890 NRT and 820 tons under deck.
- 1878 July
- Launched at the shipyard of A. Stephen & Sons, Dundee, for R. Gilchrist & Co., Glasgow. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 78642 and signal RVCJ. Employed in the Asian and Australian trade.
Captain D. Evans was appointed master of the ship.
- Special Survey No. 2
- Sold to William Ross, London. [Before 1889 according to LR 1889-90]
- Captain T. Hartvigsen.
- 1888 November
- Surveyed in Hamburg.
- 1889 October
- Surveyed at Samarang.
- Sold to Thellef Lassen, Arendal, Norway, and was renamed Tana.
- 1914 April 3
- Sold to Olof Reinhold Olsson and partners, Råå, for SEK 35.000. Assigned the official Swedish Reg. No. 5593 and signal JTSH. The new measurements were 60,79×9,82×5,74 meters and 937 GRT, 847 NRT and 1450 DWT.
Captain Jacob Alfred Andersson, Råå.
- 1924 May 19
- Captain Frans Emil Olsson, Brantevik, succeeded Captain Andersson.
- 1924 December 8
- On voyage from London with a cargo of coke for Helsingborg the Tana was run into and sunk by the steam trawler Ibis of Gothenburg some 10 miles ESE of the Scaw. Seven men of the crew of fourtheen were picked up by the trawler. The rest went down with the ship.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Svenska järn- och stålseglare.
Båtologen Årg. 29-31 (1991-93).
Updated 1997-04-27 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.