A full-rigged steel ship built in 1889 by Wm. Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow.
Dimensions: 266'7"×39'1"×23'5" and tonnage: 1816 GRT, 1749 NRT and 1736 tons under deck.
The forecastle was 31 ft long and the poop 39 ft.
Rigged with royal sails over double topgallant sails. The mizzen topgallant sail was single.
- 1889 October
- Launched at the shipyard of Wm. Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow, for W. Montgomery, London. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 96655 and signal LJSQ. Captain J.D. Watt was given command of the new ship.
- 1910 July 30 - October 25
- Sailed from London with a cargo of cement to Talcahuano in 87 days.
- 1911 March 9
- Sailed from Newcastle, NSW, to Coquimbo, Chile, with a cargo of coal in 39 days.
- 1913 January
- Sold to Finska Rederi AB Delfin (Georg Stenius), Helsingfors, Finland. Assigned the official Finnish signal SRCB. The Finnish measurements were 84,30×11,64×7,09 meters. Captain C.V. Nygrén was given command of the ship.
- 1916 July 5
- Drifted ashore together with the four-masted barque
Frieda during a hurricane while loading pitchpine at Mobile, AL. Both ships were severely damaged and the Grace Harwar lost most of her rigging.
- Sold to Gustav Erikson, Mariehamn, Åland, for FIM 940 000.
- 1929 April 17 - September 3
- Sailed from Wallaroo to Queenstown f.o. in 138 days.
- 1932 May 2 - September 11
- Sailed from Port Victoria to Falmouth f.o. in 132 days.
- 1932 October 18 - January 31
- Sailed from London to Port Victoria in 105 days.
- 1933 March 6 - July 11
- Sailed from Port Pirie to Falmouth f.o. in 126 days.
- 1933 October 10 - January 24
- Sailed from København to Port Victoria in 101 days.
- 1934 March 10 - July 15
- Sailed from Wallaroo to Falmouth f.o. in 127 days.
- 1934 November 2 - January 30
- Sailed from København to Port Lincoln in 89 days.
- 1935 March 18 - June 24
- Sailed from Port Broughton to Falmouth f.o. in 98 days.
- Sold to be broken up at Charlestown.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Grönstrand, Lars: Åländska skeppsporträtt i ord och bild.
Ålands Tidnings-tryckeri, Mariehamn, 1978.
- Lille, Sten & Grönstrand, Lars: Finlands djupvattenseglare.
Etelä-soumen kustannus oy, Lieto, 1979. 4to, 224 pp, ill.
Updated 2002-01-03 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.