Knight of the Thistle
An iron fullrigged ship built in 1878 by T. Royden & Son, Liverpool.
Dimensions: 232'6"×37'9"×22'7" and tonnage: 1489 GRT, 1428 NRT and 1357 tons under deck.
- 1878 April
- Launched at the shipyard of T. Royden & Son, Liverpool, for Greenshields, Cowie & Co., Liverpool.
Assigned the official British Reg. No. 78782 and signal SLWT.
Employed in the Indian jute trade.
- Captain Vanstone was given command of the ship.
- Sold to Gabriel Granlund, Raumo, Finland, and was renamed Hoppet. The Finnish measurements were 1489 GRT and 1365 NRT.
Captain F.W. Tork was given command of the vessel.
- Sold to owners at Arendal, Norway, and was renamed Novo.
- Sold to owners at Lillesand.
- Sold to owners in Argentina and was renamed Don Diego.
- Later registered in Bolivia.
- Sailed to Nantes after having been laid up for several years.
- Broken up.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Lille, Sten & Grönstrand, Lars: Finlands djupvattenseglare.
Etelä-soumen kustannus oy, Lieto, 1979. 4to, 224 pp, ill.
Updated 1997-04-27 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.