An iron full-rigged ship built in 1884 by Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co., Jarrow.
Dimensions 81,28×12,02×7,17 meters [266'5"×39'4"×23'5"] and 1850 GRT, 1798 NRT and 1752 tons under deck.
- 1884 November
- Launched at the shipyard of Palmers Co., Newcastle, for Sailing Ship Otterspool Co. Ltd.
(R.W. Leyland & Co.), Liverpool.
Assigned the official British Reg. No. 91173 and signal JSHN.
- 1900 August 10
- Sailed from Newcastle-on-Tyne with a cargo of coal for Iquique.
- 1900 November 4
- Burnt at Caldera. The coal cargo had caught fire a couple of days before the arrival to Caldera but proved impossible to extinguish.
The hull and the cargo of coal was later sold at auction.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Walker, David: Champion of Sail. R.W. Leyland and his Shipping
Conway Maritime Press, London, 1986. 4to, 191 pp, ill.
Updated 1997-05-15 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.