A fullrigged steel ship built in 1893 by Oderwerke Stettiner A.G., Stettin, as yard no. 408.
Dimensions: 254'3"×39'5"×21'8" and tonnage: 1652 GRT, 1545 NRT, 2350 DWT and .... tons under deck.
Rigged with double topsails, single topgallant sails, royal sails and equipped with a spike bowsprit.
- Launched at the shipyard of Stettiner A.G., Stettin, for A/S Phos (Eugéne Collett & Co.), Kristiania (Oslo). Assigned the official Norwegian Reg. No. .... and signal ...
- In command of Captain S.B. Johnsen.
- In command of Captain H. Pedersen.
- In command of Captain Halvorsen.
- 1903 September 5
- Sold to AB Phos (Axel Werner Lindblom), Halmstad, Sweden. Assigned the official Swedish Reg. No. 4206 and signal JNLM. In command of Captain Magnus Svensson.
- Sold to A.C. de Freitas & Co., Hamburg, for SEK 117.000 (GBP 6500).
- 1905 January 9
- Sold to F.L. Sloman & Co., Hamburg, and was renamed Nordsee.
The German measurements were 77,00×11,98 meters and 1768 GRT. Assigned the German signal RNKB.
In command of Captain E. Ranitz.
- Sailed from Lizard Point to Geelong in 76 days.
- Sailed from Sydney to Talcahuano in 30 days.
- Sailed from Talcahuano to Newcastle, NSW, in 57 days.
- Sailed from Newcastle, NSW, to Caleta Coloso in 38 days.
- Sailed from Caleta Coloso to Sydney in 72 days.
- Sold to Rhed. Ges. Nord GmbH, Hamburg.
- Sailed from Sydney to Coquimbo in 30 days.
- Sailed from Coquimbo to Portland, OR, in 38 days.
- Sailed from Lobos de Afuera to Lizard Point in 88 days.
- Sailed from Honolulu to Taltal in 63 days.
- Sailed from Taltal to Talcahuano in 16 days.
- Sailed from Talcahuano to Lizard Point in 90 days.
- 1910 April 02
- Sold to A/S Nordsee (Carl Bech & Co.), Tvedestrand, Norway.
Norwegian measurements 262'9"×39'4"×21'6" and 1641 GRT, 1517 NRT and 1478 tons under deck.
Assigned the Norwegian signal KDTW.
- In command of Captain Olaf Larsen.
- 1915 December
- Sold to A/S Fido (Mathias Hansen), Kristiansand, and was renamed Fjong.
- In command of Captain Nielsen.
- In command of Captain Martin Nøding.
- In command of Captain G.J. Knudsen.
- In command of Captain Thv. Torjussen.
- 1922 December
- Sold to Skibs A/S Fjong (J. Paulsen), Arendal, for NOK 55.000.
- In command of Captain J.S. Nielsen.
- Sold to be broken up.
Is reported to have sailed from Tönning [Toenning], Germany, to Melbourne in 73 days.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Svenska järn- och stålseglare.
Båtologen Årg. 29-31 (1991-93).
- Ericsson, Anders: Svenska barkskepp och fullriggare under cirka 100 år.
- Meyer, Jürgen: Hamburgs Segelschiffe 1795-1945.
Heinemann, Norderstedt, 1974.
Updated 2006-08-01 by
The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.