Queen's Island

A steel barque built in 1885 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, as yard no. 184. Dimensions 282'8"×40'5"×23'6" and 2093 GRT, 2038 NRT and 1920 tons under deck. One of the two largest barques afloat. Sistership to the full-rigged ship Lord Templetown (1886).
1885 September 22
Launched at the shipyard of Harland & Wolff, Belfast, for S. Lawther, Belfast. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 90126 and signal ____. Captain A. Morison.
Sailed from San Francisco to Newcastle, NSW, in 44 days under Capt. Reid.
Sold to the Aberdeen White Star Line and was renamed Strathdon.
Captain Reid.
1894 September 7
Sailed from London for Sydney under command of Captain W. Philip, Jr., late of the clipper Salamis.
1895 April 26 - June 21
Sailed from Sydney to London in 78 days. [The dates given by Capt. Learmont does not tally]
Owned by Sir William Henderson, Aberdeen.
Sold to Ant. Dom. Bordes et Fils, Dunkerque, and was renamed Gers.
Laid up at Nantes.
1924 January
Broken up at Brügge.


Updated 1997-06-14 by Lars Bruzelius

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives.

Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.