A composite full-rigged ship built of teak and iron in 1866 by A. Hall, Aberdeen.
Dimensions: 212'0"×40'0"×27'0" and tonnage: 2131 GRT, 2131 NRT and 2089 tons under deck.
She was the largest composite sailing ship ever built.
Originally rigged with skysails.
- 1866 November
- Launched at the shipyard of A. Hall, Aberdeen, for Lowther, Maxton & Co., London. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 54680 and signal JFSV. Chartered to Devitt & Moore, London, and employed in the Australian passenger & cargo trade. Captain Kyle was her first commander.
- In command of Captain J.A. Elmslie late of the Cospatrick.
- 1870 December 28
- Arrived to Sydney from Plymouth.
- Sold to Devitt & Moore, London.
- 1879 October 3 - December 16
- Sailed from Plymouth to Melbourne in 74 days.
- 1881 September 27 - December 6
- Sailed from Plymouth to Melbourne in 70 days.
- 1881 September 29 - December 13
- Sailed from Plymouth to Melbourne in 75 days.
- Sold to the New South Wales Government for £ 15.000 and turned into a reformatory ship moored off Cockatoo Island in Sydney harbour.
- Sold to the Commonwealth Government for £ 15.000 and was renamed HMAS Tingara. Converted into a training ship for boys entering the Australian Navy at a cost of £ 7000.
- Sold and moored in Berry's Bay, Sydney.
- Broken up at Sydney.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Course, A.G.: Painted Ports. The story of the ships of
Messrs Devitt and Moore.
Hollis & Carter, London, 1961. 8vo, x, 230 pp, 6 plates.
- Lubbock, Basil: The Colonial Clippers.
Brown, Ferguson & Son, Glasgow, 1948 (2nd).
Updated 1997-05-06 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.