A composite full-rigged ship built in 1865 by W. Pile & Co., Sunderland.
Dimensions: 190'0"×35'0"×18'9" and tonnage: 892 GRT, 892 NRT and 775 tons under deck.
- 1865 July
- Launched at the shipyard of W. Pile & Co., Sunderland, for Devitt & Moore, London. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 52770 and signal HDRK. Employed in the Australian trade.
- In command of Captain Alex. Louttit.
- In command of Captain W.H. Bisset.
- In command of Captain J.H. Barrett late of the same owner's ship Outalpa.
- 1878 October 27
- "Struck by a heavy squall, sustained severe damage to spars, losing bowsprit, headgear, ..."
- In command of Captain A.J. Ismay late of the same owner's ship Dunbar Castle.
- In command of Captain Malcolm Nicholson late of the same owner's four-masted barque Simla.
- Reduced to barque rig.
- Sold to Norwegian owners and was renamed Axel.
- Broken up at Dunkerque.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Course, A.G.: Painted Ports. The story of the ships of
Messrs Devitt and Moore.
Hollis & Carter, London, 1961. 8vo, x, 230 pp, 6 plates.
- Lubbock, Basil: The Colonial Clippers.
Brown, Ferguson & Son, Glasgow, 1948 (2nd).
Updated 1997-05-07 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.